Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The bad stuff is easier to believe. You ever notice that?

Vivian: People put you down enough, you start to believe it.
Edward Lewis: I think you are a very bright, very special woman.
Vivian:
The bad stuff is easier to believe. You ever notice that?

Vivian: When I was a little girl, my mama used to lock me in the attic when I was bad, which was pretty often. And I would- I would pretend I was a princess... trapped in a tower by a wicked queen. And then suddenly this knight... on a white horse with these colors flying would come charging up and draw his sword. And I would wave. And he would climb up the tower and rescue me. But never in all the time... that I had this dream did the knight say to me, "Come on, baby, I'll put you up in a great condo."

Edward Lewis: So what happens after he climbs up and rescues her?
Vivian: She rescues him right back.

- Pretty Woman

1 comment:

HeraclitusStream said...

Dr. Peter Venkman states to Scott in scene two of the movie Ghostbusters that he is studying the effects of negative reinforcement on ESP ability.
One of the central themes of Ghostbusters is that although it is easier to believe that being slimed is a bad thing, it actually is a good thing. "Great! Actual physical contact!" is what Dr. Raymond Stantz says to Peter when Venkman is complaining about the 12th floor ghost getting the best of him. Egon Spengler is also thrilled by the event, and wants them to save some slime for him to study.

The movie Dances With Wolves actually has a similar quote where Stands With a Fist is revealing to John Dunbar how she got her name.
The martial arts philosophy of viewing everything as suki, which translates as opportunity, could be applied to this. And of course in karate and kung fu and tae kwon do - everything depends on the correct stance. Stance is how we stand, is attitude. The right attitude is not as easy to make a habit as the deeply habitual negative attitude, which has the crown in most of our lives most of the time.